Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Review of Mastering C++

Mastering C++ is a book written by K. R. Venugopal, T Ravishankar and Rajkumar. The book teaches the computer language C++ from the scratch to the professional level in a very friendly approach to the learning of the otherwise very difficult language.

First published in 1997, the book is recommended by most of the programmers. Basically written with C programmers in mind, this book caters to novices as well.

My brother advised me to read this book as I was desperately trying to learn the language but was unable to do so. At the first sight of the book, I thought," This book can't help anyone. This is just another book for engineers and is full of technical jargon."

Almost two years later I learned 'C' language from the book "Let Us C" by Yashwant Kanetkar.
That book helped me clear the basic concepts of programming and get some technical jargon of computers, giving me the break I needed.

I learned the concepts of OOPs from the reference books of NIIT. After that, I was ready to learn C++ in detail. I started from chapter-one which helped me get acquainted with thinking in terms of OOPs. And the following chapters till chapter nine taught me the basics of C++ (non-OOPs) and from 10 to 19 the OOPs side of the language. Chapter 20 was based on the management of software projects.

So after learning it, I decided to write some programs and got disappointed because I could write only console based programs, as standard C++ does not specify the platform independent GUI programming.

Though Mastering C++ is good for learning, to gain expertise in language one must not rely on this book alone. Specialized books in the field of data structures, network programming, games development etc should also be read and kept as reference.

But as far as the question of the language is concerned, this book can be trusted as it teaches the language and its constructs in details. To become expert in any field the base should be firm. And this book does the job.

Best of luck for your adventures in C++.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment